All of us have some bad habits that are defficult to brake. There is a wide diversity of bad habits, from very mild to very serious. For example we tent to procastinate, drink in excess, shop without limits, avoid commitment, bite nails, or just expend too much time on the internet or playing grames. In fact everything can turn into a bad habit if it is done in excess. A life of virtud is simply a life of balance. There is always time and place to play, laught, cry, work, rest, etc. All in their appropiate meassure. So the steps that I came up to brake bad habits are the following:
1. Identify the habit that you want to put and end in your life. If you do not identify bad habits in a self-awarnes process, then it is pointless to keep reading. All of us have bad habits, but if we are not commited to put an end to them, then this first step is the end of our journey. It does not matter if lots of people around us see a bad habit… We have to identify it by ourselves. Undestandand how in our life, that bad habits is preventing us from be where we want to be. For example: Shoping without limits, if that is keeping you from have finantial freedom. Drinking in excess, if it is keeping you from interact with your family and friend, or if it even is turning you into a person that is violent, a person that you dont want to be. Procastination, if it is keeping you from accomplinching your career goals. In this first step we will identify the habit, and we identify the reason for which we want to end that habit.
2. We write it down. If you dont putted in writing it does not exist…
3.Identify what makes me fall in to this bad habit, and write it down. Most of the times, there are certain situations that makes us fall again into this bad habit, and we find ourselves in a circle that is hard to brake. For example, EXCESIVE SHOPPING, Do I expend too much time browsing for clothes, make up, shoes? that makes me want to get them, and then I formulate in my head some how that I need those items, and then I fall into excesive shoping. Do I have to much free time?. PROCASTINATION, Do I have to many activities in my plate? that do not let me be responsable and finish what I need to finish, Do I need organization skills? because I foget what I need to do. DRUGS OR ALCOHOL ABUSE, Do I feel lonley? Do I want to be the sould of the party, and I fall into this to feel confident? Do I have the wrong friends?
4. Write down for each one a concrete action. For each of the last activities that you identified, write concrete actions to avoid them or overcome them. For example, I will start EXCERSICING to make better use of my time, I will cancel my credit cards, I won’t go to parties where I know I will have friend pushing me to drink or do drugs. It has to be concrete, not filosophical, not super fancy, concrete and “do-able”.
5. Schedule these actions in you agenda or put a time for them. Make a plan for the actions that you want to start doing. Writem down, make them a commitment. For example, I will cancerl my credit cards today at 3pm, I will go to the Gym 3 times a week 1 hour at 8pm.
6. Ask for help. As we have bad influences around us, most likely we have good influnces. Even 1 person that advices us correctly, my mom, my husband, my wife, a friend. Tell them about your plan, share it with them. Ask them if they are willing to help you? How? as a cheerleaders of your team, as companions for the gym, etc. Involve someone else that will be there for you to remind you about your commitment. If you believe in GOD, he will be a good source of confort and also a witness of your new goal, and I am sure he will help you. This will bring you closer to him, may be this will be the begining of an awesome friendship.
7. Write in simple sentence what you want to achive by braking this habit. In a simple sentence write down where you see yourself after braking this bad habit. I see my self expending more time with my family in a peaceful enviroment. I see my self with enought money to take a vacation. I see my self as an engineer, as a nurse, as a researcher.
8. Put that sentence in a place where you can read it EVERYDAY!
9. Start with you plan of action!
I hope some of this is useful and clear! GOOD LUCK! AND REMEMBER YOU CAN DO THIS AND MORE!